Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Recipe: Warm Up With My Healthier Recipe for Homemade Corn Chowder!

Nothing can be finer for cold winter days than a big hearty bowl of soup to warm you up!  Bacon has been traditionally used in making corn chowder.  However, I  do try to avoid artery-clogging ingredients as much as possible.  In the past, I will admit that I used bacon to flavor my corn chowder.  Now I can honestly tell you once you follow my recipe that I use now that you too will not miss it.  

Another good thing about making your own homemade soup is thinking of all the money you will save on those expensive cans often with less than ideal oils, preservatives, overabundance of salt, and the like.

For starters, I use olive oil to brown my vegetables in this recipe.  Another thing that I did was add a dash of ground nutmeg, and one-half teaspoon of thyme leaves, and one teaspoon of sugar for a wonderful flavor kick.  

You can make this soup even more filling and equivalent of a light meal by making a batch of homemade noodles from the recipe for pasta dough that I shared with you earlier. 

I do hope you will try this recipe for yourself because I am nuts about it!


My Hearty Corn Chowder

1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup of chopped celery
2 tablespoons of flour
3 cups of milk 
1 can of cream-style corn (about 14.5 oz.)
5 medium potatoes, cut and diced
1/2 teaspoon of salt
dash of ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of thyme leaves
1 teaspoon of sugar
1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
1 cup of evaporated milk
3 tablespoons of olive oil

Fry your chopped onions and celery in the olive oil until they are lightly browned and tender.  Next remove from the heat briefly and coat those vegetables with your flour so the soup will thicken later. 

Return to the heat and stir in all the remaining ingredients, except for the corn and simmer for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.

Stir in the corn last along with your cooked noodles and cook 5 minutes longer to heat through. 

Homemade Corn Chowder.jpeg
My homemade Corn Chowder is perfect for warming up.