Saturday, April 6, 2013

My Secret Homemade Shake and Bake Coating Mix Can Solve Boring Dinner Problems!

kermit-rolling-pin-flour-to-bake.jpeg
Preparing a coating mix  in advance saves steps when baking or cooking later.



Why is it that a delicious seasoned flour and crumb coating can make any piece of chicken, fish, beef, or pork so much tastier?  Maybe it's because you lock in all the meat's juices to give it extra tenderness in addition to a heartier texture that becomes irresistible once those spices bring it to life.

Instead of spending more than you have to for those commercial packets of coating mix, I want to show you how easy and cheap it is to make your own mix at home. 

My recipe will make about twenty packets that you will need to keep refrigerated.  If this is too large an amount, you just the cut the recipe in half.

Here's a trick that works really well.  If you save those large plastic margarine containers along with the lid once you finish the contents, these are perfect for this purpose.  After I wash them, I prefer to use this as my shaking dish.  You also could you a clean plastic freezer bag but it tends to be messier than locking your meat in with that handy lid. 

You can dip your coated meat in a mixture of egg and milk before giving it a second coating or just coat and continue cooking as you normally do.  

I hope you give my recipe a try because I think you love it!


My Secret Homemade Shake and Bake Coating Mix

4 cups of flour
4 cup of cracker meal or (ground inexpensive crackers)
4 tablespoons of salt
1-1/2  teaspoons of dried thyme leaves
2 tablespoons of sugar
2 teaspoons of garlic powder
3 teaspoons of onion powder
3 tablespoons of paprika
1/4 cup of canola oil
1/2  teaspoon of black pepper

Mix all the ingredients thoroughly and store in a covered container in your refrigerator.

ENJOY!