Saturday, July 6, 2013

Recipe: My Awesome Blueberry Scones--An Easy Way to Enjoy a Coffeeshop Favorite


My Blueberry Scones JPEG
My Awesome Bl;ueberry Scones 

I was in a coffee shop checking out their selection of baked goodies in the display case.  In the center of the delectable assortment were these huge blueberry scones, which happen to also be one of the easiest treats you can make.  Since I had never thought to try those berries in a scone with the assumption they would squish when worked, I was intrigued and set my mind to re-creating those king-size scones at home.

Therefore, I made it a point to pick up a pint of blueberries and began experimenting.  I am happy to report that what came out of my oven was even more delectable than a $2.25 scone, only you get six big scones per batch with three batches from one pint of blueberries.  Now who loves you, baby?

I like to use canola oil instead of butter and margarine when I can since it is a healthier way to bake.  Also, baking with oil gets you out of the kitchen faster since it speeds up the process when no creaming is involved.  

Another lazy girl baking tip I use is once I pour my oil into my mixing bowl, I turn the measuring cup upside down in my cookie sheet and allow it to drain.  There is enough oil to grease your pan.  When I finish, I simply fill it with the water I need for the recipe before it goes to be washed.

In further keeping it simple, I shape and cut them in the same large mixing bowl without a problem while also saving on an extra cleanup.

One last tip, please remember to level your baking powder for the best results when baking.  Don't be overzealous and think a bit more will help it grow better because it does the opposite. 

In fact, I think making these are a much better choice for really tasting the flavor of blueberries than throwing them in pancake batter where they are covered over with maple syrup.  

Now I hope I wet your appetite enough so that you may want to try these fabulous blueberry scones of mine because they are scrumptious.  However, tasting is believing so do try!  


My Awesome Blueberry Scones

2 cups of flour
1-1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, leveled
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup of sugar + 1 tablespoon of sugar
1/3 cup of canola oil
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3/4 cup of blueberries
1 large egg
1/2 cup of water

In a large mixing bowl sift the flour, baking powder, and salt. 

Add the rest of the ingredients except the blueberries and mix with a large spoon until well combined.

Stir in the blueberries last as carefully as possible until they are well in the dough.

If the dough is too sticky, sprinkle a little flour on your hand and form your dough into a thick round circle.  

Your goal is six. Cut the circle in half and then into three triangles.

Place them on a greased cookie sheet and bake in a 400-degree oven for about 15 minutes.  You may need a few minutes more or less, depending on how your oven temperature is regulated.  

Test with a toothpick or slender knife to see if anything sticks.

ENJOY!