Saturday, March 21, 2015

Hunters Among You Need My Uncooked Venison Marinade Recipe!


two deers.jpeg
Here are two recent deer visitors.


Meet a few of the outdoor occupants of my yard.  As you can see they look like non-menacing types with their innocent looking faces, but they have managed to eat everything I ever attempt to plant and practically all the shrubs.  

Of course, they don’t like to walk away without giving back.  You would think they could at least wait to do their business elsewhere, but my furry friends usually like to repay the kindness by leaving little presents in my yard as well.

You may think that I hate all the deer that come to my place.  On the contrary, I do love to watch them from my kitchen window every time I happen to stare out and find them munching away.  I think that they are beautiful creatures that keep losing more of their natural habit all the time with all the new homes that keep going up to crowd them out.

However, they are growing in numbers.  I counted 20 just the other day and I live in the suburbs–not in the middle of nowhere!  

For all the hunters out there, I would like to share a recipe for marinading deer meat. 

Uncooked Marinade for Venison

2 medium onions, chopped 
1 carrot, peeled and chopped 
2 stalks of celery, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of dried thyme leaves
2 bay leaves
2 whole cloves
2 cups of wine (red or white)
½ cup of canola oil
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano leaves


Mix up everything above and pour over the deer meat.  Cover and refrigerate at least 24 hours before cooking.  

When you’re ready to cook, remove the venison and dry with paper towels.  

Strain the marinade because you will be able to use it again if you have more.

Then prepare the venison as you normally do whether just browning in a skillet with some oil on both sides or roasting in your oven, etc.

ENJOY!