Saturday, April 22, 2017

Recipe: My Choco-Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie Offers a Unique Marriage of Flavors That Is Out-of-This World Delicious!



Choco-Peanut Butter Banana Cream pie.jpeg
This pie is a one way to enjoy so many awesome flavors.


Did you ever have one of those days when you’re craving a few different things at the same time when you’re about to bake and couldn’t decide?  Well, I was in the mood for something chocolate.  Then, I thought a peanut butter goodie would be great until I looked over to my fruit bowl with bananas that were getting overly ripe.  Therefore, I thought why not invent something using all delicious ingredients into a cream pie? The result was today’s recipe.


As yummy as chocolate, peanut butter and bananas swimming in a creamy evaporated milk base for the filling sounds, I went a step further to add yet.  I added two other scrumptious flavors to this mix with almond extract and a little sour cream for this pie.  Now you might think that all was left was to bake using my oil pie crust recipe.

Yet, I decided I could either save the egg whites for lunch or make a meringue to crown this pie.  So before I finally poured that filling into my prebaked crust, I went with meringue before returning it briefly to the oven for several minutes.

If you’re in the mood to treat your tastebuds to a delectable and unique pie, you’ll love my Choco-Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie!

slice of choco pie.jpeg
My pie is velvety in texture and just melts in your mouth.  I wish that you could taste it.


My Choco-Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie

2/3 cup + ½ cup of sugar
3 tablespoons of cornstarch
3 cups of evaporated milk
2 tablespoons of flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
4 egg yolks (for the filling)
5 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon of almond extract
1 tablespoon of sour cream
1/4 cup of creamy peanut butter
3 ripe bananas, sliced  

Meringue:

4 egg whites
1/4 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of almond extract
1/4 teaspoon of salt


To Make the Filling:

Mix your cornstarch and flour with your cold milk until smooth.  

In your pot, place the sugar, milk mixture, salt, yolks, cocoa and whisk or stir until smooth before cooking. Stir occasionally until the filling starts bubbling and thickens.

Take off of the heat and stir in the sliced bananas, peanut butter, extract, and sour cream.  Let the flavors mingle for a few minutes, which they do beautifully while you whip up the meringue.

Of course, you also need to prebake a 10-inch pie crust.  Seriously, make my oil pie crust recipe and save yourself the hassle of working with shortening.  This recipe never let me down yet with flakiness.  I use it for anything that calls for a pie crust.  

To Make the Meringue:

You’ll need a large mixing bowl and your electric mixer to place your egg whites and salt only.  Beat the two until they start to stiffen and fluff up.  Once they do, slowly start adding and beating some of the sugar into that developing meringue until incorporating all of it before beating in the almond extract last.  Adding the sugar too quickly destroys the height of your meringue just as much as if you get egg yolks into those whites so keep this in mind.

Pour the cooked filling into that baked pie crust and then top with the meringue before returning to the oven at 450-degrees for about seven minutes or so until lightly starting to brown.  Keep a check because you want some brown color to it, but not too much.

Once finished, allow the pie to cool at room temperature before covering and refrigerating.

ENJOY!