Monday, July 24, 2017

How to Recycle to Better Keep Your Tomato Plants and Other Vegetables Off the Ground!

tomato plant.jpeg
You'll get more tomatoes from healthier plants.


I hope that your garden is doing better mine.  After all the rain that we’ve been having, the weather has turned those few still surviving into scrawny excuses of plants.  However, I still like to give these pathetic guys all the help they can get to keep them off the ground when tied to their stakes.

I used to cut an old sheet into strips to tie around the plants to keep them secure to their stakes.  This was fine, but I found something that works much better.  Now I save my old pantyhose that I would normally throw away and recycle them for another purpose of stretchy plant ties.

What I like to do is taking a pair of old pantyhose, cut off the panty, then use the legs as a stretchable brace to support them against their stakes.  I tried this in the past and it so much better than using strips of cloth because they aren’t so tight to hamper the circulation of the plants and move as they continue to grow.

Hopefully, this continual bout of what seems like daily rain will stop and end so my plants have a chance to catch up before the deer behead them as usual.  Nonetheless, I wanted to share because this gardening tip can help your plants thrive!