Saturday, May 12, 2012

Why Not Take Pleasure in My Chewy Choco-Oat Chip Cookies This Weekend?


After making it through another week of trying to make healthier food choices, I reward us every weekend with some incredibly delicious sweet baked treat.  Today, I plan on making my favorite chocolate-chip cookie recipe that is sturdier than most other versions that I used due to the addition of oats. 

You can take out your food processor and process the oats until it turns to flour.  This will change the texture and make it less chewy.  However, I don't bother because I like this scrumptious treat to last in my mouth as long as it can.  Therefore, I leave the oats as they are and normally prefer the quick oats variety for this recipe.

These cookies are great to sink your teeth into because of that chewy texture.  Once you add your chocolate chips and if desired some chopped walnuts, then you will delight in this combination of heavenly cookie bliss.

Be sure to add the salt when making chocolate-chip cookies.  I have discovered that trying to leave that out of when making any form of chocolate-chip cookies can cause your cookie to spread until it becomes thin. 

Although you can use a margarine (not spread), I also have found that vegetable shortening turns out a superior cookie.  This keeps well and is great for mailing, if you want to share and spread some of this tasty happiness with a loved one or a child in college, the military, etc.

I do hope you try this recipe because it always turns out wonderfully for me--and it can for you just as well!

My Chewy Choco-Oat Chip Cookies

1 cup of vegetable shortening
1 cup of packed brown sugar (light or dark)
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons of milk
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons of salt
2-1/2 cups of uncooked quick or old-fashioned oats
2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup of finely chopped walnuts (optional)

Beat your shortening and sugars till creamy with your electric mixer.  Add eggs, one at time, and beat in, then the milk and vanilla.  Blend well.

Add together the sifted flour, baking powder, and salt.  Mix into the creamed mixture.

Stir in the oats, chocolate chips, and chopped nuts (if desired) with the other ingredients. 

Drop by rounded teaspoons or use a small ice cream scoop and drop onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake the cookies at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes or until lightly brown before taking them from the oven.