Saturday, March 30, 2013

Recipe: My Special Drop Biscuits Are Simple and So Delicious!


 My Special Drop Biscuits.jpeg
 My Special Drop Biscuits 

A delicious choice of bread to serve at dinner is a plate of homemade biscuits.  Fresh from your oven, these little beauties never cease to put smiles on faces once they appear.  

I shudder at the thought of a packaged mix to make biscuits.  They hardly compare to what you can turn out in your kitchen at a fraction of the cost.  Furthermore, my recipe is quick to assemble, even when you're tired after a long day at work.  Best of all, my recipe is a better choice without preservatives and a healthier oil.

Although you can be fancy and roll them out, I prefer the easiest method possible with drop biscuits.  This recipe involves the least amount of work to whip out and one of the best biscuits you will ever taste. 

You will notice that I am using a tablespoon of lemon juice to sour my milk.  This is the secret to a tastier biscuit.   Bottled lemon juice works well. 

Most people swear by using butter or margarine to turn out the perfect biscuit.  I, on the other hand, like the healthier and easiest route with canola oil, which produces a supreme biscuit.

Enough said, I do hope you try this recipe one day because it is very good!

My Special Drop Biscuits

2 cups of sifted flour
3 tablespoons of canola oil
2/3 cup of milk
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of baking soda, leveled
1-1/4 teaspoons of baking powder, leveled
1 tablespoon of sugar
3/4 teaspoon of salt

First, you need to sour your milk with the lemon juice.  Let it rest for a minute or two until it starts changing in appearance with some lumping before adding your baking soda.

Sift together in your mixing bowl:  the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.

Add the oil and milk mixture next.

Don't exert yourself.  You only need to stir together until moistened before you're ready to bake.

Grease your baking pan and drop using your tablespoon or ice cream scoop.  You will get about six biscuits but you can make them any size you want.

Bake your biscuits in a 400-degree oven for about 12 minutes or until a toothpick or slender knife inserted comes out clean.

Just remember, the larger you make your biscuit, the longer your expected baking time will be. 

ENJOY!