Tuesday, December 24, 2013

My Favorite Christmas Pound Cake Is Joy From the Oven!


Today I want to share a very special holiday treat with this pound cake.  My Favorite Christmas Pound Cake is moist with a fine crumb texture and is delectable with more extract flavorings than I normally use in one recipe and sour cream.   What pumps up the flavor even more is apricot brandy, which adds that special touch of flavor-magic to this recipe.

I usually use a margarine (but never spread) when I need to cream the sugar when baking. However, this is one time I prefer using butter for this particular recipe.  You can use vegetable shortening or butter flavored shortening, but butter seems to bring a richer taste to this cake.

You don't need any frosting on my cake since it is delicious just as it is.  Nonetheless, if you usually like to frost your pound cake, a thin orange glaze is also quite good.

I hope you get a chance to try my recipe sometime over the holidays because I think you'll love it as much as I do.

My Favorite Christmas Pound Cake

3 cups of sugar
1 cup of butter or vegetable shortening
6 large eggs
3 cups of flour
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, leveled
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of sour cream
1 tablespoon of orange extract
1/2 tablespoon of rum extract or rum
1/2 tablespoon of lemon extract
1/2 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup apricot brandy

Sift the flour with the baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl.

In another mixing bowl, cream the sugar with the butter with your electric mixer thoroughly.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating each to mix well into the batter.

Add the sour cream, all the extracts, and the brandy next and beat through to combine.

Pour into a greased and floured tube pan.

Bake in a 325-degree oven for about one to one hour and fifteen minutes, depending on how your oven is regulated.  Test to see if done with a cake tester to see if anything sticks.

ENJOY!