Saturday, June 7, 2014

Recipe: Let Mary B. Tempt You With My Delectable Deluxe Pound Cake!

a piece of my Delectable Deluxe Pound Cake.jpeg
This is a piece of my Deluxe Pound Cake.

The thought of pound cake can make my mouth water.  I love everything about this type of cake from their fine texture, the way they keep and remain moist with age, the fact that they are less work since you don’t have to make icing, and best of all, how delicious they taste. You also have to appreciate how thinly they can slice when you are trying to limit your portions–that is, if you can, once you take your first bite.

The recipe that I have for you today is one of my all-time favorites.  This makes a big cake in your tube pan that has that same soft, fine-grained texture of one from the bakery that is buttery and bursting with a unique flavor due to several different extracts. You can probably use just vanilla flavoring, but adding some lemon and almond extracts really intensifies the flavor through every last crumb.  However, the real secret behind this pound cake to make it extra light is sifting the flour–not once, but three times.  

Unlike many other pound cakes, this has less sugar and eggs than some.  Trust me, but you will not miss anything except those additional calories.  Do try my recipe because I guarantee you will simply flip with delight once you taste it.

Mary B.’s Delectable Deluxe Pound Cake

2 cups of sugar
1 cup of butter
4 large eggs
3 cups of flour, sifted three times
2 teaspoons of baking powder, leveled 
1 cup of milk
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
½ teaspoon of almond extract
1 teaspoon of lemon extract

Cream your butter and sugar thoroughly first before adding the eggs, beating in one at a time.

Sift your flour, baking powder, and salt together three times before it will be ready to use.

Now alternate some of those sifted dry ingredients with the milk and extracts until you combine everything.

Pour into a greased and floured tube cake pan and bake in a 350-degree oven for about one hour or until a cake tester inserted comes out clean.  

Be sure to let your cake cool for ten minutes before attempting to remove it from your pan. Otherwise, you risk it breaking it apart.

ENJOY!
My Delectable Deluxe Pound Cake cut into pieces.jpeg
My Deluxe Pound Cake