Saturday, July 5, 2014

Recipe: My Lentil-Mashed Potato Patties Can End Your Lusting for Traditional Hamburgers!

Lentil-Mashed Potato burger on homemade bun.jpeg
Lentil-Mashed Potato burger on my homemade bun


Let’s be honest.  Ground beef burgers have a certain delicious taste that is hard to replicate. Of course, you can try substituting ground turkey and build a wonderful burger. Vegetarian burgers also are superb, but they too can be missing something.

Since giving up beef for several years now in my attempt to better monitor our cholesterol with healthier options, I have been experimenting with quite a few different versions of bean burgers.
  
Lentil-Mashed Potato Patties.jpeg
Lentil-Mashed Potato Patties

Trying to perfect a burger that tastes great with the right texture is no easy feat, readers. Some versions that I tried were either too soft and fell apart on the bun. Other had a wonderful flavor, only they were too hard. However, this last time that I have been playing in my kitchen, I finally got a winner with this recipe that I am sharing with you today.

These lentil patties taste good dressed up with your ketchup, lettuce, and cheese like a typical burger.  They also were wonderful served plain with homemade gravy or without along with a vegetable and a garden salad.

A bag of dry legumes is far cheaper than buying the same amount in a can.  When I am cooking lentils, I cook two cups of dry lentils, which is more than you’ll need for this recipe. The reason I cook extra is because it saves me time in meal preparation later in the week when I can just go to my refrigerator and use those cooked lentils in another meatless dinner.

I do hope you try my recipe because I think you will really love it.


My Lentil-Mashed Potato Patties

2 tablespoons of finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon of dried cilantro or 1 tablespoon of fresh cilantro
2 cups of cooked lentils
16 saltine crackers
½ teaspoon of dried oregano leaves
1 teaspoon of cumin powder
1 teaspoon of dried sage
1 drop of liquid smoke
½ teaspoon of dried thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon of salt
2 cups of mashed potatoes
1/4 cup of oil for frying


Take two cups of the cooked lentils and mix with the two cups of mashed potatoes and thoroughly mash both together.

Next, you will add all the spices, the chopped onion, and the crackers, which were rolled out into fine crumbs.  

Mix the ingredients together by hand and shape into the size of the patties you want.  

Fry them in about 1/4 cup of oil until lightly browned.  

If you have leftovers, these heat well in the microwave the next day.

ENJOY!