Saturday, January 23, 2016

Recipe: My Easy Crock-Pot Meatloaf Solves the Problem of What to Make for Dinner!



 My Easy Crock-Pot Meatloaf.jpeg
My Easy Crock-Pot Meatloaf 


When I have a lot of work to do, I like to pull out my crock-pot and throw something in for dinner and forget about it.  One of my favorites is this recipe for meatloaf.  With ground turkey, egg, oats, lots of onion, celery along with a combination of enough barbecue sauce and spices, this easy dinner smells so delicious when it starts to cook.  

Though you can use ground beef, I prefer ground turkey since it doesn’t produce as much grease.  Anyway, we try not to eat much red meat.

Instead of shaping it into a normal loaf, I make more of a ball.  For us, one pound is enough.  Those with a larger family probably should just double this recipe. 

Sometimes, I peel some carrots and potatoes to throw along with my meatloaf before topping again with a hefty dollop of more barbecue sauce.  


If you hate the taste of barbecue sauce, you can substitute ketchup as an ingredient all together, which also tastes awesome.  Right now, I am in barbecue sauce mode.

After that big snow storm that impacted many of us living on the East coast, this might be the perfect time to try this recipe.  Once you assemble it and stick it in your crock-pot, you can relax now that you’re housebound and do what I plan to do later and watch a video.  


My Easy Crock-Pot Meatloaf


1 pound of ground turkey
1-1/2 cups of finely chopped onion
1 cup of chopped celery
1 large egg
1 cup of oats (old-fashioned, quick, wherever type that is in your pantry)
1/4 cup of barbecue sauce or ketchup + dollop of either for topping
1 teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of ground sage
½ teaspoon of black pepper
½ teaspoon of ground garlic powder or one clove of fresh, finely minced garlic 


All I do after I clean and chop everything is to mix all the ingredients and form a ball. 

You will want to add just a little water (about one-half cup) after you put your ground turkey meatloaf into the slow-cooker. 

Top with the barbecue sauce or ketchup, close the lid, set to low and then give it some hours to cook while you take it easy.  I usually start mine at 10:30 in the morning so it can be ready by 5:30 in the evening. 

One last thing, check occasionally how your meatloaf is doing to see if it has enough water and is not burning.  If the water is evaporating, just add a bit more.

ENJOY!