Sunday, September 25, 2016

Recipe: My Sweet Mildly Pickled Refrigerated Hot Peppers Come in Handy for Spicing Up Other Dishes!


Sweet Pickled Refrigerated Hot Peppers.jpeg
This recipe is a great way to enjoy your hot pepper harvest.


I don’t know how your garden turned out this year, but mine was terrible.  The only things I got to harvest were four tomatoes, basil, sage, and a lot of hot peppers.  The rest of what I planted was enjoyed by the increasing army of deer and ground hogs that like to camp nearby. 

If you, too, are left with more than you know what to do with of hot peppers, then you are going to love this easy recipe that I have for you today.  Due to my bumper crop of jalapeno peppers this year, I thought it would be great to add a little spicy sweetness to the hot in this recipe that mildly pickles them for later use in other recipes from casseroles, scrambled eggs, toppings for pizzas, adding to sauces, sandwiches, etc.  


I didn’t work very hard to do this.  All that I did was clean and chop my peppers into small slices, then boil  a spiced vinegar solution before adding to a huge former pickle jar that I cleaned and further sterilized with boiling water.  To keep the jar from cracking, insert a large metal spoon like a slotted spoon inside first.  Then aim the boiling water to hit the metal spoon as you pour it into the jar will keep the glass intact.

opened jar of sweet pickled hot peppers.jpeg
These jalapeno peppers are beautiful as well as delicious additions to spice up a variety of  foods.


My Sweet Mildly Pickled Refrigerated Hot Peppers


jalapeno peppers (about half of a five-quart mixing bowl)
4 cups of white vinegar
2 cups of sugar
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of allspice
1 tablespoon of white mustard seeds
1 teaspoon of cloves
1 teaspoon of salt


This recipe couldn’t be simpler.  Boil up the vinegar, sugar, spices, and salt and then pour over your cleaned, sliced peppers before depositing into your waiting, sterilized glass jar or container.

Once you fill the jar with the pickled peppers, let this cool first before refrigerating for later use.  

ENJOY!