Wednesday, June 7, 2017

How to Better Conquer Clutter Before It Takes Over Your Life!

frustrated woman.jpeg
This beauty could use less stress and these tips can help.


Accumulating things is so easy to do.  I know first hand being a blogger.  Before you realize it, our stuff can begin to take over our homes.  If you want to maintain your sanity, then you need a plan to tackle the problem with a few tips to better organize and end the chaos.

Every week, I like to begin sorting through newspapers, correspondence, magazines, and circulars instead of allowing these to pile up.  Paper stuff can be your worst enemy because it can quickly accumulate if you don’t get a handle on it right away.

A lot of us go up and down with our weight.  I know that I have “fat” and “skinny” clothes that I hold onto for a while with the hopes that I will eventually wiggle back into my skinnier outfits.  Sometimes, I do but more often than not these unused pieces just hang in my closet or a box somewhere until they go out of style. Now what I do most times is to start a donation box, label it for my favorite charity and add pieces that after a reasonable amount of time go inside.  This method provides the needed incentive to force you to part with items when that box is plainly in view in your basement, game room or garage.

Storage containers and tubs are wonderful for grouping items together that you don’t need to use for a while. I happen to love them.  However, it is a bad idea just to run out and buy enough containers to fit all your stuff because you might end up with more filled containers than you have room to store them.  Instead, I suggest weeding some items out first before shopping for them.

In fact, you might want to use a few to store some of those unwanted items for a future garage sale or to throw in your car for a trip a few times a summer to your local flea market.  You can sell things like clothes that the children out grew, books, toys, household items, etc. and get them out of your house while making some extra cash.  You’ll be surprised at how many quarters and dollars can come from just one outing. More important, you’ll have fun and perhaps be helping others go home with items, which otherwise, they might not be able to afford.  I used to like to do this a few times every summer, but now I have a smaller car instead of a minivan and can no go. 

One last piece of advice is about any extra room that you have.  Perhaps, you have a bedroom that no longer has a resident.  Then again, you might have a room that you reserved for your exercise bike, the treadmill, etc.  Avoid that temptation of extra space that nobody really is making use of as your oversized closet.  This is a horrible idea because you’ll only build a junk room that will only be like your junk drawer, only on a larger, worse scale.  

I hope you try some of my tips for organizing because it definitely will keep your house cleaner and you less stressed!